A traveler’s biggest fear is waking up in the hotel bed (or even your own bed!) with tell-tale bed bug bites and droplets of blood on the sheets. As more and more Canadians travel abroad and international travelers visit this country, so the risks of facing a bed bug infestation in Ontario hotels and homes increases.
Signs of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs hide in tiny cracks and crevices and usually feed on the blood of their hosts during the night hours. For an expert pest controller, signs of bed bugs are easy to spot, but for an untrained and inexperienced eye, identifying bed bugs is a little harder. Here are some of the common signs that tells there may be bed bugs in one of your rooms.
Bed Bug Infestation Signs
- Dark/black stains - on the mattress and surrounding area due to bed bug excreta.
- Sweet scent - an unpleasant, sweet, sickly scent.
- Small dark spots - small dark blood spots on bedding known as 'faecal pellets'.
- Live insects - despite being small, it’s possible to spot live bed bugs and shed skins.
- Blood spots - on the sheets or mattress.